You made an offer and it was accepted. Your next step is to have the home inspected within the negotiated time frame. Magee Group Professionals recommend you make your offer contingent upon a home inspection.
This contingency allows you to ask the sellers to repair any defects to the home, request a repair credit or in some cases, walk away if challenges arise. Your Magee Group agent can help you decide on the best course of action for you once the inspection report is completed.
How to Choose an Inspector
Your Magee Group professional has a short list of home inspectors they’ve worked with in the past to recommend to you. According to HGTV you may want to consider the following five areas when choosing the right home inspector for you:
1. Qualifications– Find out what’s included in your inspection and if the age or location of your home may warrant specific certifications or specialties.
2. Sample Reports– Ask for a sample inspection report so you can review how thoroughly they will be inspecting your dream home. In most cases, the more detailed the report, the better.
3. References– Do your homework. Ask for phone numbers and names of past clients who you can call to discuss their experiences.
4. Memberships– Not all inspectors belong to a national or state association of home inspectors, and membership in one of these groups should not be the only way to evaluate your choice. Membership in one of these organizations does, however, often mean continued training and education are required. In the Commonwealth of Virginia a license is now required for home inspectors, so check them out on the VADPOR site.
5. Errors and Omission Insurance– Find out what the liability of the inspector or inspection company is once the inspection is over. The inspector is only human, after all, and it is possible they might miss something they should see.
Make sure you tag along during the inspection, so the inspector can point out anything that should be addressed or fixed.
Remember to bring a notebook, measuring tape, and camera to remember key points of the home.
Don’t be surprised to see your inspector climbing on the roof or crawling around in the attic and on the floors. The job of the inspector is to protect your investment and find any issues with the home, including but not limited to: the roof, plumbing, electrical components, appliances, heating and air conditioning systems, ventilation, windows, fireplace and chimney, foundation, and so much more.
Some say, ‘ignorance is bliss,’ but not when investing your hard-earned money into a home of your own. Work with a Magee Group agent you can trust to give you the most information possible, so you can make the most educated decision about your purchase.
Author:Susan Magee Phone: 804-334-5087 Dated: October 12th 2019 Views: 435 About Susan: As a mother, wife and businesswoman, my determined spirit has taken me through personal and professi...
View our latest blog posts in your RSS reader. Click here to access.
As a mother, wife and businesswoman, my determined spirit has taken me through personal and professional success, and it is definitely the foundation for my achievements as a real estate expert.
By listening to you closely, I am able to quickly identify what you want to achieve and guide you through every step of the real estate process to ensure you get optimum results. Not only do I understand each phase of the real estate process, I do what it takes to make things happen smoothly, quickly and efficiently, and without stress to you. I strive to keep the lines of communication open, and be available when you need me.
When I am not working you will find me spending time with my family, taking the g randkids to the movies, or doing a little shopping.
When a lot of people think of buying a home, they picture it as a part
"The Magee Group and especially Susan Magee made the process of buying a home so easy. From the New Home Buyers seminar where we learned everything we needed to know about the home buying process as well as introducing us to a Mortgage Lender personally who was able to answer our questions as well. I recommend The Magee Group and Susan Magee for anyone looking to buy or sell a home."